Appam is a usual Breakfast dish made in South India. Here I bring you the simplest way of making one with just 2 main ingredients!
Serves - 1
BEST TIME TO HAVE?
As your Breakfast.
HOW TO MAKE APPAM FROM SCRATCH?
- Rice – ½ cup (prefer white and fat rice)
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per your taste
How to prepare the Appam Batter?
- Pick and wash rice under running water.
- Soak rice for 5-7 hours.
- Grind the rice without water. Gradually add water (used to soak rice) and grind nicely it into a fine paste like consistency. Make sure you don’t feel the grains.
- Take a tablespoon of the prepared batter into another pan and keep aside.
- To the prepared batter add the coconut and grind it well into a thick batter. Make sure it’s a fine batter.
- Move the batter into a bowl perfect for fermentation.
- Add about 5 Tablespoon of water to adjust the consistency of the batter just like idly batter. (neither too loose nor like a thick paste),
- Wash the grinder with a 1/2 cup of water and add it to the pan kept aside with 1 Tbsp of batter.
- Heat the pan and stir continuously till it thickens.
- Once cooled down, add the thick paste made into the batter and mix well.
- Let it ferment overnight (8-10hr, depends on the weather condition).
- Once fermented, add sugar and salt and give it a nice mix.
How to make Appam?
- Heat the Appam pan or even a tawa as per your convenience.
- Spread oil into the pan and pour a ladle of batter. Swirl it towards the edges for Appam pan or just spread evenly clockwise and close the lid and cook it on a low flame.
- When the edges turn light brown remove from fire and serve hot.