Today using the protein packed Black Channa, I have come up with a Gravy made in traditional Kerala Style. Do give it a try with rice, idiyappam, appam, puttu, dosa or chapati💓
Serves - 5
BEST TIME TO HAVE?
Anytime before 8pm.
HOW TO MAKE KADALA CURRY?
- Black chickpeas/ Black Channa/ Kadala – 1 Cup
- Onion finely chopped – 2 Cups
- Tomato chopped – 1 cup.
- Ginger paste – 2 Tbsp.
- Garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
- Green chili finely chopped – 4 nos.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Oil/ghee – 3 tbsp. (use coconut oil for the Kerala flavor)
- Salt – as per your taste
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Red chili powder – 1½ Tbsp (as per you taste)
- Coriander powder – 1 Tbsp.
- Shallots/ small onion – 10 nos.
- Cardamom – 1 whole.
- Cinnamon stick – ½ inch.
- Cloves – 4no
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
- Dry red chili – 2no
- Soak the Black Channa overnight or for at least 6hr.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil and roast the ginger and garlic paste till the raw smell goes.
- Then add green chilly and sauté for a min and then add onion and a pinch of salt to cook it faster.
- Once cooked add the tomato to it. And once cooked mash it with the spatula lightly.
- Then add turmeric powder and sauté for 2-3 min till the raw smell goes.
- Now add the channa/chickpea and cook them with enough water and salt with closed lid or pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Now take another pan and heat ½ tbsp of oil and fry 7 no of shallot, the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves till the aroma goes.
- Then add the grated coconut and fennel seeds and fry them until golden color. Once its golden color, add the rest spices (chili powder and coriander powder) and roast them for 2-3 min in low flame.
- Now let it cool.
- Grind the mixture into a fine paste with little water.
- Add this paste to the cooked channa/chickpea and stir well. Add salt if required and boil the mixture.
- Once it starts boiling, lower the flame, give it a good mix and close the lid and cook it for 2-3min.
- Meanwhile take another pan and heat the remaining oil and crack the mustard seeds.
- Add chopped remaining shallots, dry red chili and curry leave and fry it for a min.
- Add this to the cooked curry (after 2-3 minutes of cooking) and give it a good stir and close the flame.
Tastes better if you have it after 15-20 min of cooking.
Enjoy it! 😀