RICE PAYASAM/RICE KHEER
Today's recipe is a popular Kerala special Payasam/Kheer. Can be had without any guilt!
Serves - 6.
BEST TIME TO HAVE?
For Dinner or Lunch as a dessert.
HOW TO MAKE RICE KHEER?
- Rice - 1 cup - preferably red rice.
- Coconut milk from 1 coconut, 3rd milk - 1L, 2nd milk – ½ L , 1st milk– ¼ L
- Jaggery – as per your taste (used ¼ kg jaggery)
- Salt - a pinch
- Cardamom powder – as per you taste (used 2 tsp)
- Ghee – 2-3 Tbsp
- Nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 5nos
- Wash and drain rice.
- Grate a fresh coconut and grind it for 20-30 sec and squeeze the milk from it- 1st coconut milk. Add the coconut back to the grinder with 1/4 - 1/2 L of water and grind for 20-30 sec and squeeze to get 2nd milk from it. Grind back the coconut with 3/4 L of water for 20-30 sec and squeeze to get the 3rd milk.
- Strain all the three coconut milk separately.
- Boil the 3rd milk and cook rice in it. Keep stirring in between to avoid clustering.
- When the rice is almost cooked, add ½ L of 2nd coconut milk and cook the rice in it. Make sure it doesn’t get clumsy.
- Meanwhile melt the jaggery in ½ cup of water.
- Once the rice is cooked, pour the melted jaggery to it and stir for a min.
- Add the ½ Cup of the remaining 2nd coconut milk and stir and close the lid to cook.
- Once it thickens add a pinch of salt and stir well.
- Do this step (8) only if u think u want it more thick and softer. Add ½ cup of the remaining 2nd milk and let it thicken. Keep stirring in between.
- Once your desired consistency has reached pour the 1st coconut milk. Give it a stir and close the flame. Mix it well.
- In another pan heat ghee and roast nuts and raisins. Mix it with the prepared Kheer/payasam
- Let it rest for 15 min.