CHANA MASALA/CHOLE MASALA
A protein rich gravy made deliciously with chickpea for you all, The Channa Masala .
Serves - 4
BEST TIME TO HAVE?
HOW TO MAKE CHANA MASALA?
- Chana/Chole/Chickpea - 1 cup
- Cinnamon - 1 inch
- Bay leaf - 1 no
- Cloves - 4 no
- Cardamom - 2
- Jeera/ cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Corriander Powder - 1 Tbsp
- Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri Methi - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dry Mango/Amchur Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chili Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 1 med size
- Tomato - 2 med size
- Green Chili -2 small
- Garlic - 5 cloves
- Ginger - 2 cm
- Salt - as per your need.
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander Leaves - 3 tsp
- Wash and soak chickpea in 5 cups of water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook the chickpea with the soaked water along with turmeric powder, pepper powder, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and salt for 5 whistles
- Heat Oil in a pan and cumin seeds, saute for 10-20 sec, later add finely chopped onion and pinch of salt and cook it till it turns light brown.
- Meanwhile grind ginger, garlic and chili into a paste .
- Once onion is light brown in color add this paste and cook till its raw smell disappears.
- Now add all the remaining powdery spices and saute well for 2-3 min in low flame.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute well and let it cook covered until tomatoes are mushy.
- Mush the tomatoes and make it look like a paste.
- To it add the pressure cooked Chana/Chickpea and mix well till the masala blend well.
- Let it boil.
- Cover and cook it for 10 min on low flame.
- Crush kasuri methi between your palms and add them. Mix well.
- Adjust the consistency as per your need.
- Garnish the chana masala with coriander leaves and let it sit for 10 min.