Starting off with its Batter, let's see how to prepare some soft idlis for your breakfast. 😀
Serves – 4 Portion – 3/4
BEST TIME TO HAVE?
As your Breakfast.
HOW TO COOK IDLI FROM SCRATCH?
- Rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – ¾ cup
- Salt- ½ tsp
How to make the Idli batter?
- Pick and wash the rice under running water until clean. Soak it overnight or for minimum 8 hrs
- Pick and wash the dal under running water till clean. Soak it overnight along with fenugreek or for minimum 8hr.
- Grind the rice in a grinder without water firstly then little by little add the same water used to soak the rice and grind to a fine thick paste.
- Shift the prepared rice batter into a large bowl. Wash the grinder with 1/4 cup of water and save the water for later.
- Grind the dal the same way as the rice into a fine thick batter.
- Mix the both well with the salt.
- Wash the grinder with the same ¼ cup of water (saved for later (point)).
- In another pan heat the water and stir continuously until the water thicken.
- Now add this thicken paste to the batter and now mix well.
- Keep the batter to ferment overnight in a warm place (a good fermentation doubles the volume of the batter).
- Once fermented, mix it well once again till the volume settles down.
How to make Idli?
- Grease the idli moulds and pour batter into them until ¾ of the mould is filled.
- Steam cook for 15-20 min. Prick a fork/ toothpick, it should come out clean
- Slightly cool the idlis or pour ¼ cup of clean water onto the mould.
- Remove the idlis from the mould using a knife/spoon