Onam is arriving and here you go an authentic kerala style sambhar recipe.😃
Serves - 4
BEST TIME TO HAVE?
As your Lunch or Breakfast .
HOW TO MAKE SAMBAR ?
- Toor Dal - 1 cup.
- Ladies finger - 5
- Chembu / Arbi - 1/2 a Arbi
- Drumstick - 1
- Brinjal - 3/4 cup chopped
- Sambhar Chili - 5 no
- Tomato - 2 small size
- Pumpkin - 1/2 cup chopped
- Shallot/ Small Onion - 15 no
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per your need.
- Curry Leaves - 2 spring.
- Tamarind - an amla size
- Asafoetida - 1 tsp.
- Oil - 3 Tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri Chili Powder- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 Tbsp
- Corriander leaves - 3 Tbsp chopped.
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry red chili - 2
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water.
- Peel, clean and chop Chembu , Drumstick and Pumpkin in almost same size.
- Clean and chop Ladies Finger, Brinjal, Sambhar Chili and tomatoes in same size as above.
- Soak chembu/arbi in water once chopped.
- Peel and wash the small onion/shallots.
- Wash and clean the dal thrice. Soak it for minimum 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal with salt and half the turmeric powder in 3 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds, saute for 20 sec. Add 3/4 tsp of asafoetida, shallots, sambhar chili and remaining turmeric powder and saute for 2 min.
- Squeeze the tamarind in the soaked water.
- Add the tamarind water to it and and let it boil.
- Add Chembu , Drumstick and Pumpkin with salt required and cover and cook in low flame.
- When the added vegetables are half done add brinjal and cover and cook till Chembu , Drumstick and Pumpkin are almost done. Now add ladies finger and tomatoes.
- In between if the consistency has come down, you can add only warm water and cook the vegetables in it.
- Let it cook for 2 min covered in medium flame.
- Meanwhile heat a pan and roast kashmiri chili powder and coriander powder in low flame for just 10-20 sec. Remove immediately.
- Add the roasted spices and salt if required to the vegetables and mix well for a min.
- Add the cooked and mushed dal and add only hot water if the consistency require.
- Let the curry boil in medium flame. Once it starts to boil cover and cook for 3-4 min in low flame.
- Remove from fire and sprinkle coriander leaves.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in another pan and sputter mustard seeds. Add dry chilli and curry leaves, saute for 20 sec . Remove from fire.
- Now add 1/4 tsp of asafoetida to it , give it a mix and add the tempering to the sambar prepared. Cover the sambhar and let it sit for minimum 15 minutes. Mix well before you serve.